Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Memoirs of a Boy Soilder


I read the most amazing book this past week (I know you are thinking, how do I have time to read). Anyway, it is a memoir of Ishmael Beah who was a child solider during the civil war in Sierra Leone. This book drew me in and I could not stop reading it! There are many parts of the book that are just heart breaking and you cannot believe this happened to a real person. Actually, the whole reason I read the book was after I went to meet him and hear him speak. I went into my boss’s office and she said she was going to see a speaker tonight. I saw the pamphlet and I told her that I had bought that book about 6 months ago and had yet to read it. She invited me along and I ended up staying for 2 hours because I am just fascinated by him! His story was truly amazing, heartbreaking and just makes you want to get involved and help the children who suffer from the effects of a civil war. It makes you count your blessings and realize how lucky we really are.

No comments:

Post a Comment