Thursday, April 16, 2009

Not the woman I expected to be

I have been engaged for a month now, and I have found it to be a very interesting experience. Since Jerod has a 13-month deployment to Iraq, we are waiting to get married until he returns, I have not had to do anything other than set our date. Well, I did look up Spas to treat my wedding party to a Spa day, and I did look up cigar rollers, and lounge furniture because that is what is important. I did ask some fellow St. Ann parishioners that have gotten married there before me for some advice on what to do. I guess because it is still so far away I do not feel so much pressure to book everything, but I have picked out a couple of FAVS that I have had my eye on from past weddings to contact. Anyway, my point is that I have realized that I am not an “OH MY GOSH” girl, even though growing up we are socialized to dream of our PEEERRRFECT wedding. My extremely generous partner did put a nice ring on my finger. So when people I have no seen in a while notice it, they say, Are you engaged? In a pitch so high, that I think dogs could hear it. I respond very nonchalantly, “yeah.” I have realized people do not like that response, because they usually say back, are you not excited? Well yeah, I am excited I am marrying my partner and best friend I just don’t feel the need to be like “OH MY GOSH IM ENGAGED! WOO-HOO” every time I see someone. I also realize that I am not as Type A as I thought, sure I want things to go well on for our wedding, but I am not a bridezilla, nor plan on turning into one. I appreciate the girls who are really excited and wedding is always on their mind, it is a very exciting time and over joy is to be expected, so I don’t want to knock them. Nevertheless, Marriage is a privilege that Jerod and I are lucky enough to be able to participate in. I love Jerod and he is everything I have ever wanted in someone, he’s my rock and best friend, and even though he is my political, social and religious opposite, (but he’s starting to see the light in many issues), we work together, additionally we will raise our kids to be flaming liberal Catholics (Side note: our priest looks like SANTA! How cool will it before our kids to see Santa every Sunday…haha!) Anyway, I decided that this picture would be my big WOO-HOO I am engaged and display my internal excitement! Therefore, if I forget to tell you that I am engaged, I apologize in advance, but at the end of the day, our commitment of a lifetime together means more to me than planning a wedding.

See I am SO EXCITIED!

2 comments:

  1. "OMG I'M GAY!"

    I've been waiting for this blog entry to happen just so I could comment that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you Jess, I feel completely uncomfortable at bridal showers and bachelorette parties, because shouldn't it be about the two people's relationship? Shouldn't that be enough without needing everyone's approval and celebration? I wonder how many girls would actually get married if the reinforcement of presents, congratulations, diamond ring, honeymoon, princess wedding day and showers were taken out of the equation of marriage. When it is all over is is just the two of you.

    miss you!
    Emo

    ReplyDelete